Thursday, February 3, 2011

What?

This is the word that is repeated all day between Masami and I!


He is really starting to talk and to want to communicate his wants, desires, thoughts.  And, as part of this developmental stage, he is experimenting with the word "what?".  After nearly everything I say to him, he responds with "what?"  And even though it drives me crazy, I find myself repeating what I've said at least twice before I catch myself and tell him to stop.  I know he hears me and usually understands, so why the constant "what" response? 



It occurred to me the other day that I say "what?" to him an awful lot too.  Although Masami talks a lot, I only understand about half of what he says.  I thought that all moms had some special "mother knowledge" that gave them the special power to understand and translate their own child's gibberish language.   Well, it is not true for me.  And since I don't know what he is saying half the time, I'm always responding with, "what buddy?"  So since I say it so much to him, maybe he just thinks that that is the way you are supposed to respond to someone.  This is a vicious cycle! 


You can imagine Masami and I, spending the mornings, just the two of us, saying "what?" back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment